Node disk requirements & where is stored

Good day Elrond community! 

I was wondering about disk usage for nodes. 

First question:  where is the free space needed?  I've been experimenting running my node in Azure cloud now.  In Azure cloud, VM's start with a small OS disk of 16GB and then you can attach additional disks, and mount them in Ubuntu.  However I'm not sure what directory is used for the needed disk space? Is their a variable in the config files that determines what directory is used for empty disk space? 

Second question: I believe the 200gb disk requirement is mostly for temporary or cache storage use, is this correct? As I gather from this amazing blockchain sharded design, the entire blockchain is not saved to disk like older coins. Is that correct?  So the 200gb requirement is for 'burst cache storage' in times of extremely high network demand? 

Third question: Neither my test nodes or prod observer nodes use much disk at all, I think they run around 10gb.  As I'm just an observer node at this point, seems an unneeded expense to pay for 400GB of storage that is not being used. For observer nodes or test nodes is it fine to run a limited disk? What kind of issue would be caused if there was not enough disk space? 

Thanks ! 

19 hours ago, Kevin Reese said:

Good day Elrond community! 

I was wondering about disk usage for nodes. 

First question:  where is the free space needed?  I've been experimenting running my node in Azure cloud now.  In Azure cloud, VM's start with a small OS disk of 16GB and then you can attach additional disks, and mount them in Ubuntu.  However I'm not sure what directory is used for the needed disk space? Is their a variable in the config files that determines what directory is used for empty disk space? 

Second question: I believe the 200gb disk requirement is mostly for temporary or cache storage use, is this correct? As I gather from this amazing blockchain sharded design, the entire blockchain is not saved to disk like older coins. Is that correct?  So the 200gb requirement is for 'burst cache storage' in times of extremely high network demand? 

Third question: Neither my test nodes or prod observer nodes use much disk at all, I think they run around 10gb.  As I'm just an observer node at this point, seems an unneeded expense to pay for 400GB of storage that is not being used. For observer nodes or test nodes is it fine to run a limited disk? What kind of issue would be caused if there was not enough disk space? 

Thanks ! 

Hi Kevin,

You can find the DB and other folders inside ~/elrond-nodes/node-x. Basically the DB contains the transactions hash history and the SCs (Smart Contracts) (SC are not sharded).

Just a reminder - PoS blockchain explained in 3 words: the consensus is the processor, the state is the RAM and the hdd (non-volatile memory) is the data-base/transactions.

The entire blockchain history is kept in a distributed way on the disk(s), but there are some use-cases when this sync is not fully made/needed at the beginning (specifically when you need to start a new observer as a node or your node is just shuffled during epochs). 
Normal validators need to sync the startOfEpoch Block for the previous epoch, the startOfEpoch Block for the current epoch and sync the current epoch so that at the end of this epoch it is synchronized and can propose blocks. Once it is shuffled out, it will be moved to another shard and need to sync again from the current epoch.

So in this way the sync speed is optimized. What you can do more is to spin up an observer and start in the current epoch no need to start at the beginning.
In the background, your node just check that the current epoch is correct by checking 2 start of epoch blocks and start directly in the current epoch. You are able to validate transactions in less than an hour if you start at the beginning of the epoch.

About the space needed for now, indeed, you're right, no need to have a lot of space, but starting with phase 3 and with the start of the projects/SCs running on Elrond for sure the space needed will increase a lot.

Best regards,
Marius

Fantastic answer! Thank you.  

I have seen these other users on the various telegram channels with similar questions regarding storage -- I'll start referring folks this way for an informative answer on the matter!  

Also, in regards to the PoS blockchain reminder: that's a very succinct and effective way to consider the PoS function and I haven't thought of it like that before, makes sense. Thanks for mentioning that as well.