Access wallet by ledger nano s

Liviu

Hello,

I try to access my wallet with ledger nano s. After the ledger is connected, I have to choose an address from a list with many addresses ( it seems I have many wallets).  Is it normal? 

Thank you.

• Elrond Team
1 hour ago, Liviu said:

Hello,

I try to access my wallet with ledger nano s. After the ledger is connected, I have to choose an address from a list with many addresses ( it seems I have many wallets).  Is it normal? 

Thank you.

Yes, you have control over many addresses/wallets obtained through derivation from the same seed phrase.

If you use the same seed phrase to access your wallet without ledger, the web wallet will show you by default the first from those wallets.

Hi, thank you very much for answering.

I've been having the exact same situation. Created a wallet without ledger, then tried to connect the ledger to it, but I got that list full of different addresses from which to choose from. 

So you're saying that no matter what address we choose from the list each time we connect, we will still be connected to the same wallet, cause they all come from the same seed phrase is that right? 

2nd question

How do I connect a ledger to an existing elrond wallet if they each have their own different addresses? 

Thank you very much ! 

• Elrond Team
10 hours ago, Paul said:

Hi, thank you very much for answering.

I've been having the exact same situation. Created a wallet without ledger, then tried to connect the ledger to it, but I got that list full of different addresses from which to choose from. 

So you're saying that no matter what address we choose from the list each time we connect, we will still be connected to the same wallet, cause they all come from the same seed phrase is that right? 

2nd question

How do I connect a ledger to an existing elrond wallet if they each have their own different addresses? 

Thank you very much ! 

Yes, with ledger you will have access to all those wallets each time you connect. Through the web wallet you will only see the first one by default.

For your 2nd question, if you use the same seed phrase, then you have the same wallets both in web wallet and in ledger. As mentioned above, currently the web wallet only shows the first wallet, the ledger will show that first wallet on the first position, plus the rest.

• 3 months later...
  • Elrond Team
On 5/16/2021 at 4:22 PM, footitch said:

So, I am following up here.  So I'm gonna ask the kindergarten level questions here.

1. What happens if I pick any one of these addresses?

image.png.3ca0240685bbe1a1143c2439d3153be9.png

All listed wallet addresses are under your control, you can use any of those with ledger

Without ledger, the web wallet currently only displays the wallet associated with first address.

All wallets keys (private and public) that give you control over the wallets can be generated again from the same 24 words secret phrase.

Thank you for the reply.  I am still a bit confused.  So can you walk me through the actual steps?

1. I go to https://wallet.elrond.com/unlock/ledger
  2. I connect my ledger
  3. I am prompted to select an address

This is where I am confused.  Am I supposed to scroll through and look for my address?  If not, can you tell em specifically what I need to do?  

I appreciate the help.  Trying to get this working so that i can share it with my community.

-joe

• Elrond Team
On 5/22/2021 at 3:19 PM, footitch said:

Thank you for the reply.  I am still a bit confused.  So can you walk me through the actual steps?

1. I go to https://wallet.elrond.com/unlock/ledger
  2. I connect my ledger
  3. I am prompted to select an address

This is where I am confused.  Am I supposed to scroll through and look for my address?  If not, can you tell em specifically what I need to do?  

I appreciate the help.  Trying to get this working so that i can share it with my community.

-joe

It's your choice which wallet to use, all are yours.

By default if you used the same seed phrase with maiar or web wallet, the used account was the first one.

So you can select the first one if you need to access the same wallet. Whenever you need an additional wallet you can use the next one in the list and so on.

• 2 months later...

Hi!

What I read here doesn't correspond with what I experience with my Ledger.

With the Ledger I have only the chance to utilize one of the wallets that appear in that list, I cannot associate an already existing wallet (secured by a keystore and a password) with the Ledger. Am I wrong?

The only chance thatvI see is to send all the EGLD to one of the address that the Ledger association shows but I would need to unstake them, what am I not undestanding?

Thanks.

• Elrond Team
On 8/2/2021 at 8:41 AM, fabio ramundo said:

Hi!

What I read here doesn't correspond with what I experience with my Ledger.

With the Ledger I have only the chance to utilize one of the wallets that appear in that list, I cannot associate an already existing wallet (secured by a keystore and a password) with the Ledger. Am I wrong?

The only chance thatvI see is to send all the EGLD to one of the address that the Ledger association shows but I would need to unstake them, what am I not undestanding?

Thanks.

Sure you can use an already existing wallet, you will have to configure the ledger with the 24 words seed phrase you used when you created the wallet for which you have the keystore file and password.

This will replace the entire set of already configured wallets on your ledger with the ones derived from the new seed phrase. The first wallet address displayed on ledger will be the one you have access to in web wallet using the keystore file and password.

If you have funds in the wallets currently configured on your ledger, make sure you have the seed phrase for those before reconfiguring your ledger,  as there would be no way to go back to the previous wallets without the seed phrase and you will lose access to those funds.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 12:04 PM, Adrian Dobrita said:

Sure you can use an already existing wallet, you will have to configure the ledger with the 24 words seed phrase you used when you created the wallet for which you have the keystore file and password.

This will replace the entire set of already configured wallets on your ledger with the ones derived from the new seed phrase. The first wallet address displayed on ledger will be the one you have access to in web wallet using the keystore file and password.

If you have funds in the wallets currently configured on your ledger, make sure you have the seed phrase for those before reconfiguring your ledger,  as there would be no way to go back to the previous wallets without the seed phrase and you will lose access to those funds.

Thank you! So in this way the web wallet would be accessible by means af the ledger and by means of the keystore plus password. Is there a simple way to change the password? I would like to have it more complicated. Have I to do "recover wallet" to have the chance to reset the password or there is a simpler way? Thanks!

• Elrond Team
On 8/31/2021 at 1:55 PM, fabio ramundo said:

Thank you! So in this way the web wallet would be accessible by means af the ledger and by means of the keystore plus password. Is there a simple way to change the password? I would like to have it more complicated. Have I to do "recover wallet" to have the chance to reset the password or there is a simpler way? Thanks!

You would have no reason to use a keystore file if you already configured your ledger, simple delete it, otherwise if someone gets hold of it your ledger is offering you no extra security.

to change the password the only way is to do recover wallet and set a different password.

check also this:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

how can i  configure the ledger with the 24 words seed phrase i used when i created the wallet for which i have the keystore file and password if the ledger gives a 24 recovery phrase which i can not change. Every ledger has his own 24 words unique phrase. 

Maybe i did not understand ? 

Waiting for a feedback pls. Thank you!

• Elrond Team
1 hour ago, Bogdan1983 said:

Hello,

how can i  configure the ledger with the 24 words seed phrase i used when i created the wallet for which i have the keystore file and password if the ledger gives a 24 recovery phrase which i can not change. Every ledger has his own 24 words unique phrase. 

Maybe i did not understand ? 

Waiting for a feedback pls. Thank you!

You can configure the ledger with a different seed phrase.

The option to set a different seed phrase I think it's called "recover"