Recover/Ask for EGLD sent to wrong address

Hello,

I've sent some EGLD to a wrong address. The intended action was to send the EGLD back to the wallet they came from (mine, on an exchange), but it turns out the address I received the EGLD from was not mine, but a ... smart contract/validator one?

Anyway, is there a way to recover the EGLD? Or a way to contact the wallet owner?

Here's the transaction info. https://explorer.elrond.com/transactions/eb8139d283c92f84e7d761256c47eb33a6d57c4175199a4fc98ef619716e5cca

Thanks,

Alex

• Elrond Team
4 hours ago, Alexandru Busuioc said:

Hello,

I've sent some EGLD to a wrong address. The intended action was to send the EGLD back to the wallet they came from (mine, on an exchange), but it turns out the address I received the EGLD from was not mine, but a ... smart contract/validator one?

Anyway, is there a way to recover the EGLD? Or a way to contact the wallet owner?

Here's the transaction info. https://explorer.elrond.com/transactions/eb8139d283c92f84e7d761256c47eb33a6d57c4175199a4fc98ef619716e5cca

Thanks,

Alex

If you did a withdraw from an exchange and you sent back to the same address you received from, the address should be under the exchange control.

You need then to open an issue with the exchange you used and give them the transaction details.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried to send EGDL from the Maiar wallet for the 1st time and as i went through the steps i was expecting to have to enter an address but after pressing next or send, it was sent without me even entering an address. How can it do this? How did it choose what address to use? I have the address details but how to I found out who it is an get it back? The address starts with erd...

• Elrond Team
1 hour ago, Russell said:

I just tried to send EGDL from the Maiar wallet for the 1st time and as i went through the steps i was expecting to have to enter an address but after pressing next or send, it was sent without me even entering an address. How can it do this? How did it choose what address to use? I have the address details but how to I found out who it is an get it back? The address starts with erd...

If you selected one of your contacts that has Maiar installed and then chosen send from the contact page, then the egld was sent to that contact.

You can enter Maiar app, tap the question mark '?' in the top right corner, and then 'send us a message', and then describe what happened, what you tried to do, which is your address (erd....), which is the address that received the funds (erd...) and we can look into that and advice you further.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought some egold on a different platform and sent it to maiar for staking as I was thinking of selling I sent the same egold back to the same  address which it had come from yet the platform people are telling me that the address doesn't belong to them .please suggest me something what I should be doing . 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Elrond Team
On 4/15/2021 at 2:06 PM, Adrian Necula said:

I have made a mistake and I have sent my EGLD to the address from where I bought them, in Maiar platform.

I need to know the steps which I need to follow in order to recover them.

You will have to contact support for the platform where you bought EGLD from, e.g MoonPay or Binance, as they have access to those addresses.

They will probably ask for some fee.