Minimum egld delegation ?

• Elrond Team
20 minutes ago, Philippe MAQUIN said:

Hi!

I'am about to buy Elrond.

But it is possible to delegate less than 10egld ? I want to delegate something like 2-4 elgd.

Also I don't understand the difference between stacking and delegating.

Ty and have a nice day

It is not possible to delegate less than 10 eGLD.

This is because more fragmented delegations would incur larger gas costs for other operations, like swapping active delegation with staking queue delegation, or increased storage access due to larger SC state. This is also a sort of sybil attack prevention.

The difference between staking and delegation is that for staking you need to "lock" 2500 egld in order to run a validator and you need to take care of the machine running the validator software, keep it online, make sure it has good network connection, etc, while for delegation you just lock a variable sum of egld (minimum 10 egld) and leave a service provider to handle the machines/sw/updates, etc.

One other difference is that when you stake and run your own validator node, you receive all the rewards, but also have the cost of running the machine, etc, if you delegate you only receive the (rewards - stakingServiceFee) but you have no other costs for running the validator.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 11:19 AM, Adrian Dobrita said:

It is not possible to delegate less than 10 eGLD.

This is because more fragmented delegations would incur larger gas costs for other operations, like swapping active delegation with staking queue delegation, or increased storage access due to larger SC state. This is also a sort of sybil attack prevention.

The difference between staking and delegation is that for staking you need to "lock" 2500 egld in order to run a validator and you need to take care of the machine running the validator software, keep it online, make sure it has good network connection, etc, while for delegation you just lock a variable sum of egld (minimum 10 egld) and leave a service provider to handle the machines/sw/updates, etc.

One other difference is that when you stake and run your own validator node, you receive all the rewards, but also have the cost of running the machine, etc, if you delegate you only receive the (rewards - stakingServiceFee) but you have no other costs for running the validator.

Thanks for the explanation, now it makes sense there is a minimum amount.

But will this minimum be adjusted if the prices changes dramatically. In the case EGLD suddenly 10x or something, it would make it unrealistic for many people to participate due to the vary high total value of 10 EGLD.

I would love to stake some EGLD, but due to the recent price change from 70-80 up to 180, it has now become unrealistic for me to invest as much as 10 EGLD.

• Elrond Team
4 hours ago, DNA40pct said:

Thanks for the explanation, now it makes sense there is a minimum amount.

But will this minimum be adjusted if the prices changes dramatically. In the case EGLD suddenly 10x or something, it would make it unrealistic for many people to participate due to the vary high total value of 10 EGLD.

I would love to stake some EGLD, but due to the recent price change from 70-80 up to 180, it has now become unrealistic for me to invest as much as 10 EGLD.

We are discussing the change for the minimum delegation amount and it seems there is consensus to decrease the amount.

The new minimum will be communicated once it is clear.