Sign in to follow this  
Mystic999

Guide for free starting nodes on VPS

Hi guys!
For those who want to get more familiar with the knowledge for the future launch of Mainnet, I created a detailed guide for starting nodes on VPS.

Regardless of the level of knowledge in Linux, it can be useful to everyone - both beginners and experienced users.

I chose a description of connecting to two cloud providers: Vultr and Google Cloud Platform (GCP). Their advantage is a welcome bonus in the form of free funds for paying for services for the duration of the trial period.

These gifts are given only at the first registration of the user. And this is enough to assess the advantages and disadvantages of this cloud providers by participating in the Battle of Nodes.

When you first register with Vultr (required by referral link) $ 50 for 1 month is provided. This circumstance does not depend on me. These are the conditions for giving a gift. After 30 days, unused funds will be reset to zero. But this is enough to run up to 4-6 nodes on two copies of VPS. Each has 2 CPUs, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB NVMe SSDs 3000GB Bandwidth.

Vultr is good for its SSD VPS. I also really like the flat rate without limits. The main thing is not to exceed to the amount of bandwidth of 3,000 GB per month on each copy. This is more than enough to run 3 nodes within 30 days. We can run 2 copies for free.

The disadvantage is that when the VPS is disconnected, the fee continues to be charged in full from the amount of the loan provided. 

If we compare with GCP, then there is no charge when the node is temporarily stopped for 2-3 days. This will allow you to save while there is a stop in Battle of Nodes.

But in GCP, the costs are unpredictable: RAM and bandwidth usage, CPU load, hard disk usage. Each item has its own counter and it is difficult to control the costs. But at the first registration $300 for 1 year is provided. However, the cost of services is much more expensive. The fee is charged online several times a day. I can only guarantee the operation of three nodes on one instance for 30 days for free.

One of the advantages is greater resistance to DDOS attacks, compared to Vultr.

Unfortunately the guide is not suitable for the format of the forum. So I posted the article on Medium: https://medium.com/@mystic266791/migrating-nodes-from-your-machine-to-a-cloud-server-guide-71b1c45c6718

I also want to warn fans of multi-accounts. It's impossible! Upon registration, a fingerprint is created on your system and hardware. Do not be silly. Keep in mind 1 computer - 1 account!

Good luck to everyone and thank you!

000a.jpg

Edited by Mystic999
  • Thanks 1