Lucian Todea

What hosting/cloud provider are you using?

If you are using a hosting/cloud provider which one(s) are you using? What specs your machines have and what are the estimated costs per month?

Hi!

My first 2 nodes ever, so I decided to test 2 options, both from contabo.com

1. Win server, CPU 2 cores, RAM 4 GB, Disk 300 GB (HDD), 100 Mbit/s port, UNLIMITED Traffic - 10€ / month (4€ normal cost for technical specs, 6€ for windows server OS)

2. Linux (ubuntu) server, CPU 4 cores, RAM 8 GB, Disk 200 GB (SSD), 200 Mbit/s port, UNLIMITED Traffic - 5€ / month

With team help, I managed to set up the ubuntu node, so definitely ubuntu is cheaper (no additional cost with Windows OS).

• Like 1

I will use for BoN a t3.2xlarge AWS machine (8 vCPU and 32 GiB RAM) to run 6 nodes. The price for this on-demand instance is around 240$ per month and it does not include traffic ( around $0.09 per GB).

It looks kind of expensive right now from what I heard from others but with a reserved instance the price could go down by around 80%. 

Next for me would be to test Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure

Hi I used Google Cloud for BoN to run my six nodes , the instance specification is 2vCPU with 8gb RAM and 200 GB storage (57$ monthly). Running 6 nodes smoothly with max of 20% usage of CPU.

But planning to move to contabo.com it seems less expensive than others.

Edited by tramyargabam

1 hour ago, tramyargabam said:

Hi I used Google Cloud for BoN to run my six nodes , the instance specification is 2vCPU with 8gb RAM and 200 GB storage (57$ monthly). Running 6 nodes smoothly with max of 20% usage of CPU.

But planning to move to contabo.com it seems less expensive than others.

The instance specification: 2vCPU with 8gb RAM and 200 GB storage, to run 6 nodes, looks bellow the recommended specs per node: 2 cores, 4 GB RAM and 200 GB HDD. I am curious how it will perform. Keep us updated 🙂

The recommended approach is for each node to add 2 cores, 4 GB RAM and 200 GB. But only by testing we can know for sure and this is one of the reasons we are doing BoN.

Contabo is by far the cheapest option, 9 euro per month for 6 cores, 16GB RAM, 400GB SSD, 400 Mbit/s port (unlimited traffic).

I run 3 instances on it and the proposed block rate is not 100% successful. Those pushing the limits of their hardware will suffer! My advice is to make adjustments for the next waves and ditch the nodes you cannot run at decent performance.

As more of us will migrate to Contabo, we'll be at the mercy of Contabo, they might not like our activity and they might impose limits, I hope it doesn't happen though.

Most other similarly priced VPSs have a storage problem, max 50gb or so.

If the activity is intense, the database will grow quite easily, take care of this aspect. It's not in anyone's interest to have dead nodes as the shard might get frozen without 2/3 active nodes. 

So keep your enemies close 🙂

Edited by Sorin Pop
  • Like 1

Contabo lacks geographical diversification, so they suck for that aspect.  They only have two data centers in Germany.  That's way too centralized for my liking.

4 hours ago, Lucian Todea said:

The instance specification: 2vCPU with 8gb RAM and 200 GB storage, to run 6 nodes, looks bellow the recommended specs per node: 2 cores, 4 GB RAM and 200 GB HDD. I am curious how it will perform. Keep us updated 🙂

The recommended approach is for each node to add 2 cores, 4 GB RAM and 200 GB. But only by testing we can know for sure and this is one of the reasons we are doing BoN.

sorry forgot to mention,  I used two instances (1 instance = 3 nodes). Its look fine maximum of 20% usage of CPU. I will upgrade it if needed.

4 minutes ago, tramyargabam said:

sorry forgot to mention,  I used two instances (1 instance = 3 nodes). Its look fine maximum of 20% usage of CPU. I will upgrade it if needed.

Don't forget to count the bandwidth, It will be huge

Edited by epeus
add quote