Sign in to follow this  
Sever Moldovean

Battle of Nodes: Frequently Asked Questions

What is Battle of Nodes?

Battle of Nodes is a public event focused on pushing the Elrond test network to its limits, in order to iron out any remaining bugs and attack vectors ahead of the imminent mainnet launch.

What is the goal of the event?

We have three major goals for the event: 

1. stress testing the network to discover any remaining bugs and fixing them
  2. learn about potential attack vectors and mitigating them
  3. preparing node operators for a smooth mainnet launch.

What is the timeline?

The event will run over four individual phases, with the following tentative* schedule:

• Build: 07 October 2019 - 27 October 2019
  • Challenge: 28 October 2019 - 10 November 2019
  • Assault: 06 November 2019 - 20 November 2019

Each phase will have two or more individual rounds of up to 1 week each, which will be announced in due time.
*The timing of the various phases might vary slightly, depending on any unforeseen events throughout the event.

What are the rewards?

There is a $50.000 pool for participants, that will be distributed no later than 3 days after the official event closure. The prizes will be in fully unlocked ERD tokens. The ERD/USD parity will be locked in on the day after the official event closing. We will consider an average of the Binance ERD/USD price over the previous 7 days period.

The exact categories for the prizes and reward calculations will be available before the start of Phase 1 (see below).

In addition to ERD token rewards, participants will be able to earn unique non-fungible tokens on the ERD network, Elrond swag and community perks, all to be announced soon.

How are rewards earned?

Most of the prize pool will be split among participants based on their individual scores. The scores will be calculated based on an algorithm that will track node uptime, earned staking rewards and completed missions. We will publish the details of the algorithm in due time.

Consistent Leaderboard Awards will go to top 3 overall score, then the rest of participants will be awarded in brackets, such as top 25%, top 50%, top 75% - subject to change. Additional consistent prizes will go to the most critical, creative or well executed attacks, with bonuses for proposals on how to prevent them in the future.

Additional rewards will be given for special achievements, such as, but not limited to:

• submitting new bugs
  • successfully attacking the network
  • providing help for the community
  • creating valuable resources (guides, scripts, media content, etc)
  • proposing fixes for bugs & attacks

We will award exceptional behavior and achievements, so do feel encouraged to go above and beyond!

Details about the special achievements will be announced in due time.

Will I earn more if I run multiple nodes?

Yes! You can earn leaderboards based score rewards for all your nodes. The leaderboards will list nodes in descending order of accrued score. The leaderboards will be split in "brackets" and rewards will be distributed to the account owners of all the nodes in the bracket. If you have 3 nodes in Bracket 1, you get a reward for each of them.

Exception: Leaderboard Awards (Top 3 Score) will be awarded on a "per account" basis. So if your 6 nodes are top of the leaderboards, you will get 1st prize for your top scoring node and 5 rewards for Bracket 1. The owner of the 7th place node (in our example) will get the 2nd prize, and so on.

What is a Bracket?

A bracket represents a section of the leaderboard, like for example: Bracket 1> top 10%, top 10% > Bracket 2 > top 25%, top 25% > Bracket 3 > top 50%, and so on.

What is a mission?

There will be missions tailored for each phase of the event. Some of the missions will be repeatable, such as redeeming tokens from a daily faucet or sending a complex transaction. There will also be special missions which will happen a couple of times per round, such as sending out as many transactions as possible during a specific time frame or playing a certain number of CryptoBubbles games, etc. Be on the watch for secret missions, that will pop-up occasionally and reward participants on a first come, first serve basis!

What is the difference between a phase and a round?

A phase is a period of time from the entire event  that we will allocate for achieving a specific goal for our test net. For example Phase 2 - Challenge, is aimed at stress testing the network. As we run tests, discover bugs and fix them, we want to further testing on the updated code. So we will split each phase into rounds - a period of time (5-7 days) from a phase.

We will announce the start and end of each round, together with the relevant instructions. It is highly likely that nodes will need to be updated at the end of each round with a new validator version.

Who can participate in the event?

Anyone with an entry level computer and basic computer knowledge can join. There are well documented tutorials for setting up a node and a very helpful support team and community to guide participants. Participants are required to register, agree with our terms and conditions and pass a KYC check with our trusted partner.

What are the system requirements?

The minimum system requirements are:

• Intel i3 or compatible CPU (2 cores)
  • 4GB RAM
  • 200GB HDD
  • Broadband internet
  • Windows, Linux, MacOS

Containerized deployments of validators are supported and well documented, so a computer with enough capacity can run multiple nodes simultaneously.

How do I get started?

Go to the official Battle of Nodes website and follow instructions. Alternately, please visit this link and register with our KYC partner. You will be asked to provide email, Telegram/Riot (optional), a BEP-2 (Binance chain) address for rewards distribution, KYC relevant documents and proof of residence. The process includes an automated liveliness check, so please have a camera-enabled device ready, such as a smartphone.

After completing the process, please follow the relevant instructions for installing your nodes. Then please fill in this form and share the relevant information with us, like email, nickname (for the public leader board), alternative contact channels, and your nodes' relevant keys.

Why do I need to share my node’s keys with you?

For the testnet event, we kindly ask that you provide this information so we may register your nodes to the network and link them with your profile to properly track the score. This will not be necessary for the mainnet - never share your mainnet secret keys!

Do I need to stake ERD tokens?

You do not need to hold any ERD tokens to join the Battle of Nodes event. The testnet does not require staking real or test tokens. We will instead whitelist the registered nodes, just for testing purposes.

How many nodes can I run?

A maximum of 6 nodes per participant are allowed. We reached this by adding up 5 shards + 1 metachain, even if the actual numbers may vary. We want to encourage you to be creative and test out the best strategies. Only the highest ranked node at the end of each round will be considered for scoring. It can be a different one each round, the scores are accrued to your account.

How do I set up a node?

Once you determined that your computer fits the minimum specifications, please head over to the Battle of Nodes forums and follow the detailed instructions to get your node up and running. We encourage you to read the available documentation and ask questions on the forum and on the dedicated Telegram channel.

How do I submit a bug?

Please submit bugs directly in the Elrond github. The first submission of a bug is eligible for an additional reward. We will analyze all submissions and assign rewards accordingly.

Why do I need a BEP2 address?

Prior to our mainnet launch, the Elrond placeholder token is on Binance Chain. In order for you to be able to claim your rewards, please provide a BEP-2 wallet address that you own. If you don't already have one, please create one using one of the following links:

https://www.binance.vision/tutorials/binance-dex-creating-a-wallet - recommended for desktop

https://trustwallet.com/ - the official Binance wallet, mobile app only, no desktop version

What are the communication channels?

The Battle of Nodes forum board is the main place to get all the relevant information throughout the event. There are a number of sticky posts containing the relevant documentation, and a number of ongoing threads discussing all the relevant aspects of the event. You can also join the dedicated validators Telegram channel for live discussions. Important announcements will be shared on the official Elrond Telegram Announcements channel.

How can I ask questions or provide feedback?

Please make yourself familiar with the documentation, announcements and sticky posts. We try to document all relevant information there for easy access and we constantly update them to be relevant. If you don’t find a clear answer to your issue easily, we welcome your questions on the Battle of Nodes forum or in the validators Telegram channel.

What are the rules?

The event is governed by common sense principles: be nice to others, only attack the test network and its validators, have fun. You can find the full rules, terms and conditions here.

What is a “stress test”?

It means a series of actions meant to pushing the Elrond test network to its limits. For example, we will ask participants to run scripts to send as many transactions as possible in a short time frame and observe the impact it has on the network, peak performance, bottlenecks and so on.

What does it mean to “attack”?

Attacking a blockchain means any kind of activity you can think of that will either result in increased earnings for yourself or the instability of the network. Adjust your settings, change the code of your validator, spam the network with fake transactions, try and take over a shard or the entire network and so on.

Please remember that attacking is only allowed in Phase 3! Attacks discovered in the previous phases will get negative points, drastically affecting your score.

Where can I see the results?

Participating nodes will be ranked on the leaderboards, which will be made available soon. Major updates to the scores are calculated at the end of each round, when uptime, accrued rewards and completed missions will be factored in.

Battle of Nodes relevant links

What else should I know?

In case you are just now discovering the Elrond network, we encourage you to check out these links, get the relevant information and join our community:

Hi, is it too late for a new registration now? I want to join this battle.

Yes, unfortunately you've missed the Second registration window and you'll have to wait for the Third, the dates will be announced soon.

On 10/15/2019 at 10:43 PM, Renars Derrings said:

Guys I am not familiar with script writing. Will be there some scripts provided for spamming, attacking etc?

Hey Renars, we're relying on you guys to come up with all the attack vectors we didn't think of or are possible without us knowing. Start reading 🙂 I personally like this one https://arxiv.org/pdf/1904.03487.pdf - very deep start

• Like 1