Question about node centralisation

thedude

Hi there, 

Big supporter of what you guys are doing. My question relates to node centralisation.

On this website https://explorer.elrond.com/validators, Elrond Community Delegation is listed as having 31% of the nodes on the network. I presume this means nodes run by the Elrond team. At what point will the nodes run by the team be <=10% of the total network? And what does the Elrond team consider to be 'full decentralisation' in terms of node-count / node size / the team's contribution to the network? . I'm sure this information is out there somewhere, there's just a lot of info floating around and I can't seem to figure it out myself.

All the best! 
N.

• Elrond Team
1 minute ago, thedude said:

Hi there, 

Big supporter of what you guys are doing. My question relates to node centralisation.

On this website https://explorer.elrond.com/validators, Elrond Community Delegation is listed as having 31% of the nodes on the network. I presume this means nodes run by the Elrond team. At what point will the nodes run by the team be <=10% of the total network? And what does the Elrond team consider to be 'full decentralisation' in terms of node-count / node size / the team's contribution to the network? . I'm sure this information is out there somewhere, there's just a lot of info floating around and I can't seem to figure it out myself.

All the best! 
N.

Elrond Community Delegation nodes have been 67% of the total nodes in the network at mainnet launch (30 July 2020).

Since then the percentage has decreased to 31%.

It will decrease even more with activation of staking phase 4 and slashing, for which development is in progress, but I can't give a definite timeline for when it will be activated on the mainnet (January 2022 seems possible but could also be earlier if all things go smoothly, or later, depending on how testing goes and the feedback from community and validators regarding the chosen solution).

The node count will be decided algorithmically depending on the usage of the network but with a minimum of 1920 nodes, and ideally the Elrond community delegation nodes will be removed completely, with the delegators moving to the existing staking providers.

A prerequisite for completely removing the elrond community delegation nodes is activating the slashing mechanism on mainnet, so the earliest time I see for this to happen would be in the beginning of the next year.

• Thanks 1